5.1 Vector Addition and Subtraction: Graphical Methods
Consider six vectors of 2 cm each, joined from head to tail making a hexagon. What would be the magnitude of the addition of these vectors?
Two people pull on ropes tied to a trolley, each applying 44 N of force. The angle the ropes form with each other is 39.5°. What is the magnitude of the net force exerted on the trolley?
- 0.0 N
- 79.6 N
- 82.8 N
- 88.0 N
5.2 Vector Addition and Subtraction: Analytical Methods
True or False—A vector can form the shape of a right angle triangle with its x and y components.
True or False—All vectors have positive x and y components.
When a three dimensional vector is used in the study of atmospheric sciences, what is z?
- Wind speed
Which method is not an application of vector calculus?
- To find the rate of change in atmospheric temperature
- To study changes in wind speed and direction
- To predict changes in atmospheric pressure
- To measure changes in average rainfall
5.3 Projectile Motion
In the equation for the maximum height of a projectile, what does stand for?
- Initial velocity in the x direction
- Initial velocity in the y direction
- Final velocity in the x direction
- Final velocity in the y direction
True or False—Range is defined as the maximum vertical distance travelled by a projectile.
5.5 Simple Harmonic Motion
What is the term used for changes in shape due to the application of force?
- Restoring force
What is the restoring force?
- The normal force on the surface of an object
- The weight of a mass attached to an object
- Force which is applied to deform an object from its original shape
- Force which brings an object back to its equilibrium position
For a given oscillator, what are the factors that affect its period and frequency?
- Mass only
- Force constant only
- Applied force and mass
- Mass and force constant
For an object in simple harmonic motion, when does the maximum speed occur?
- At the extreme positions
- At the equilibrium position
- At the moment when the applied force is removed
- Midway between the extreme and equilibrium positions
What is the equilibrium position of a pendulum?
- When the tension in the string is zero
- When the pendulum is hanging straight down
- When the tension in the string is maximum
- When the weight of the mass attached is minimum
If a pendulum is displaced by an angle θ, what is the net restoring force it experiences?