23.1 The Four Fundamental Forces
Which of the following is not one of the four fundamental forces?
- strong nuclear
It increases accelerating capacity.
It decreases accelerating capacity.
The accelerating capacity of a Van de Graaff generator is constant regardless of electric potential.
Van de Graaff generators do not have the capacity to accelerate particles.
What force or forces exist between a proton and a second proton?
- The weak electrostatic force and strong magnetic force
- The weak electrostatic and strong gravitational force
- The weak frictional force and strong gravitational force
- The weak nuclear force, the strong nuclear force, and the electromagnetic force
To what color must quarks combine for a particle to be constructed?
What type of hadron is always constructed partially of an antiquark?
What particle is typically released when two particles annihilate?
Which of the following categories is not one of the three main categories of the Standard Model?
- gauge bosons
Analysis of what particles began the search for the Higgs boson?
- W and Z bosons
- up and down quarks
- mesons and baryons
- neutrinos and photons
Both the quark and the neutron were discovered by launching charged particles through an unknown structure and observing the particle recoil.
Both the quark and the neutron were discovered by launching electrically neutral particles through an unknown structure and observing the particle recoil.
Both quarks and neutrons were discovered by studying their deflection under an electric field.
23.3 The Unification of Forces
Which two forces were first combined, signifying the eventual desire for a Grand Unified Theory?
- electric force and magnetic forces
- electric force and weak nuclear force
- gravitational force and the weak nuclear force
- electroweak force and strong nuclear force
After the Big Bang, what was the first force to separate from the others?
- electromagnetic force
- strong nuclear force
- weak nuclear force
What is the name of the device used by scientists to check for proton decay?
- the cyclotron
- the Large Hadron Collider
- the Super-Kamiokande
- the synchrotron
How do Feynman diagrams suggest the Grand Unified Theory?
- The electromagnetic, weak, and strong nuclear forces all have similar Feynman diagrams.
- The electromagnetic, weak, and gravitational forces all have similar Feynman diagrams.
- The electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces all have different Feynman diagrams.