Contact one of the following businesses and ask to speak to a person in the supply chain or logistics department. You might have to go through several people to actually get to the one that can best answer your questions. The goal with this exercise is to ask questions regarding the logistics in these companies to better understand the complex process. Every logistics department is involved in the movement of goods (the coming and/or going), but they vary in how they go about it.
- A local warehouse
- An Amazon.com warehouse (they have multiple layers that you can contact as well as their logistics partner program)
- A trucking company
When you speak to the professional, be prepared with questions that will help you understand this position. Here are a handful of questions to get you started:
- What is your job title and function?
- How would you describe your department?
- How did you obtain your position?
- What skills, background, or degree are needed to do this type of work?
- What are the main challenges faced by the department in the job?
- Are you aware of differences in how you run your operations versus a similar company? If yes, can you outline examples?