Skip to ContentGo to accessibility pageKeyboard shortcuts menu
OpenStax Logo
Nutrition for Nurses

Chapter Summary

Nutrition for NursesChapter Summary

  • The nurse plays a critical role across the spectrum of care by assessing clients’ dietary habits to improve neurologic health.
  • The brain is composed of 60% fat, and the remaining 40% is made up of water, carbohydrates, protein, and various salts.
  • The brain is responsible for all essential activities of the body but cannot store energy.
  • The traditional Western diet can promote gut inflammation, which can lead to cognitive decline.
  • Adequate hydration is a key element of neurologic health.
  • Micronutrients are essential for adequate neurotransmission.
  • Diet modifications can support brain health in individuals of all ages.
  • Metabolic syndrome can lead to cognitive decline.
  • Diet modifications can slow the decline of some neurodegenerative conditions, including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.
  • Long-term effective diet modifications cannot be made in a single health care encounter.
Citation/Attribution

This book may not be used in the training of large language models or otherwise be ingested into large language models or generative AI offerings without OpenStax's permission.

Want to cite, share, or modify this book? This book uses the Creative Commons Attribution License and you must attribute OpenStax.

Attribution information
  • If you are redistributing all or part of this book in a print format, then you must include on every physical page the following attribution:
    Access for free at https://openstax.org/books/nutrition/pages/1-introduction
  • If you are redistributing all or part of this book in a digital format, then you must include on every digital page view the following attribution:
    Access for free at https://openstax.org/books/nutrition/pages/1-introduction
Citation information

© Mar 7, 2024 OpenStax. Textbook content produced by OpenStax is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License . The OpenStax name, OpenStax logo, OpenStax book covers, OpenStax CNX name, and OpenStax CNX logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be reproduced without the prior and express written consent of Rice University.