Which of the following is not an example of an energy transformation?
- Heating up dinner in a microwave
- Solar panels at work
- Formation of static electricity
- None of the above
Which of the following is not true about enzymes?
- They are consumed by the reactions they catalyze.
- They are usually made of amino acids.
- They lower the activation energy of chemical reactions.
- Each one is specific to the particular substrate(s) to which it binds.
Energy is stored long-term in the bonds of _____ and used short-term to perform work from a(n) _____ molecule.
- ATP : glucose
- an anabolic molecule : catabolic molecule
- glucose : ATP
- a catabolic molecule : anabolic molecule
The energy currency used by cells is _____.
The glucose that enters the glycolysis pathway is split into two molecules of _________.
What do the electrons added to NAD+ do?
- They become part of a fermentation pathway.
- They go to another pathway for ATP production.
- They energize the entry of the acetyl group into the citric acid cycle.
- They are converted into NADP.
- the movement of electrons across the cell membrane
- the movement of hydrogen atoms across a mitochondrial membrane
- the movement of hydrogen ions across a mitochondrial membrane
- the movement of glucose through the cell membrane
Which of the following fermentation methods can occur in animal skeletal muscles?
- lactic acid fermentation
- alcohol fermentation
- mixed acid fermentation
- propionic fermentation
The cholesterol synthesized by cells uses which component of the glycolytic pathway as a starting point?
- acetyl CoA
- carbon dioxide
Beta oxidation is ________.
- the breakdown of sugars
- the assembly of sugars
- the breakdown of fatty acids
- the removal of amino groups from amino acids