- Define heat as transfer of energy.
- Observe heat transfer and change in temperature and mass.
- Calculate final temperature after heat transfer between two objects.
- Examine heat transfer.
- Calculate final temperature from heat transfer.
- Discuss the different methods of heat transfer.
- Calculate thermal conductivity.
- Observe conduction of heat in collisions.
- Study thermal conductivities of common substances.
- Discuss the method of heat transfer by convection.
- Discuss heat transfer by radiation.
- Explain the power of different materials.
Energy can exist in many forms and heat is one of the most intriguing. Heat is often hidden, as it only exists when in transit, and is transferred by a number of distinctly different methods. Heat transfer touches every aspect of our lives and helps us understand how the universe functions. It explains the chill we feel on a clear breezy night, or why Earth’s core has yet to cool. This chapter defines and explores heat transfer, its effects, and the methods by which heat is transferred. These topics are fundamental, as well as practical, and will often be referred to in the chapters ahead.