A newly discovered hormone contains four amino acids linked together. Under which chemical class would this hormone be classified?
- lipid-derived hormone
- amino acid-derived hormone
- peptide hormone
Which class of hormones can diffuse through plasma membranes?
- lipid-derived hormones
- amino acid-derived hormones
- peptide hormones
- glycoprotein hormones
A new antagonist molecule has been discovered that binds to and blocks plasma membrane receptors. What effect will this antagonist have on testosterone, a steroid hormone?
- It will block testosterone from binding to its receptor.
- It will block testosterone from activating cAMP signaling.
- It will increase testosterone-mediated signaling.
- It will not affect testosterone-mediated signaling.
What effect will a cAMP inhibitor have on a peptide hormone-mediated signaling pathway?
- It will prevent the hormone from binding its receptor.
- It will prevent activation of a G-protein.
- It will prevent activation of adenylate cyclase.
- It will prevent activation of protein kinases.
Drinking alcoholic beverages causes an increase in urine output. This most likely occurs because alcohol:
- inhibits ADH release
- stimulates ADH release
- inhibits TSH release
- stimulates TSH release
FSH and LH release from the anterior pituitary is stimulated by ________.
What hormone is produced by beta cells of the pancreas?
When blood calcium levels are low, PTH stimulates:
- excretion of calcium from the kidneys
- excretion of calcium from the intestines
A rise in blood glucose levels triggers release of insulin from the pancreas. This mechanism of hormone production is stimulated by:
- humoral stimuli
- hormonal stimuli
- neural stimuli
- negative stimuli
Which mechanism of hormonal stimulation would be affected if signaling and hormone release from the hypothalamus was blocked?
- humoral and hormonal stimuli
- hormonal and neural stimuli
- neural and humoral stimuli
- hormonal and negative stimuli
Which endocrine glands are associated with the kidneys?
- thyroid glands
- pituitary glands
- adrenal glands
Which of the following hormones is not produced by the anterior pituitary?
- growth hormone
- thyroid-stimulating hormone