Figure 34.11 Which of the following statements about the digestive system is false?
- Chyme is a mixture of food and digestive juices that is produced in the stomach.
- Food enters the large intestine before the small intestine.
- In the small intestine, chyme mixes with bile, which emulsifies fats.
- The stomach is separated from the small intestine by the pyloric sphincter.
Figure 34.12 Which of the following statements about the small intestine is false?
- Absorptive cells that line the small intestine have microvilli, small projections that increase surface area and aid in the absorption of food.
- The inside of the small intestine has many folds, called villi.
- Microvilli are lined with blood vessels as well as lymphatic vessels.
- The inside of the small intestine is called the lumen.
Figure 34.19 Which of the following statements about digestive processes is true?
- Amylase, maltase and lactase in the mouth digest carbohydrates.
- Trypsin and lipase in the stomach digest protein.
- Bile emulsifies lipids in the small intestine.
- No food is absorbed until the small intestine.