Figure 43.8 Which of the following statements about the male reproductive system is false?
- The vas deferens carries sperm from the testes to the penis.
- Sperm mature in seminiferous tubules in the testes.
- Both the prostate and the bulbourethral glands produce components of the semen.
- The prostate gland is located in the testes.
Figure 43.15 Which of the following statements about hormone regulation of the ovarian reproductive cycle is false?
- LH and FSH are produced in the pituitary, and estradiol and progesterone are produced in the ovaries.
- Estradiol and progesterone secreted from the corpus luteum cause the endometrium to thicken.
- Both progesterone and estradiol are produced by the follicles.
- Secretion of GnRH by the hypothalamus is inhibited by low levels of estradiol but stimulated by high levels of estradiol.
Figure 43.17 Which of the following statements about the menstrual cycle is false?
- Progesterone levels rise during the luteal phase of the ovarian cycle and the secretory phase of the uterine cycle.
- Menstruation occurs just after LH and FSH levels peak.
- Menstruation occurs after progesterone levels drop.
- Estrogen levels rise before ovulation, while progesterone levels rise after.