Which of the following is not one of the rights the Bill of Rights guarantees?
- the right to freedom of speech
- the right to an education
- the right to bear arms
- the right to a trial by jury
Which of Alexander Hamilton’s financial policies and programs seemed to benefit speculators at the expense of poor soldiers?
- the creation of a national bank
- the public credit plan
- the tax on whiskey
- the “Report on Manufactures”
What were the fundamental differences between the Federalist and Democratic-Republican visions?
Which of the following was not true of Jay’s Treaty of 1794?
- It gave the United States land rights in the West Indies.
- It gave American ships the right to trade in the West Indies.
- It hardened differences between the political parties of the United States.
- It stipulated that U.S. citizens would repay their debts from the Revolutionary War.
What was the primary complaint of the rebels in the Whiskey Rebellion?
- the ban on alcohol
- the lack of political representation for farmers
- the need to fight Native Americans for more land
- the tax on whiskey and rum
How did the French Revolution in the early 1790s influence the evolution of the American political system?
What was the primary issue of Adams’s presidency?
- war with Spain
- relations with the native population
- infighting within the Federalist Party
- relations with France
Which of the following events is not an example of partisan acrimony?
- the jailing of Matthew Lyon
- the XYZ affair
- the Marbury v. Madison case
- the Hamilton-Burr duel
What was the importance of the Louisiana Purchase?
- It gave the United States control of the port of New Orleans for trade.
- It opened up the possibility of quick trade routes to Asia.
- It gave the United States political leverage against the Spanish.
- It provided Napoleon with an impetus to restore France’s empire.
How did U.S. relations with France influence events at the end of the eighteenth century?
Why do historians refer to the election of Thomas Jefferson as the Revolution of 1800?
What prompted the Embargo of 1807?
- British soldiers burned the U.S. capitol.
- The British supplied arms to Native fighters.
- The British navy captured American ships on the high seas and impressed their sailors into service for the British.
- The British hadn’t abandoned their posts in the Northwest Territory as required by Jay’s Treaty.
What event inspired “The Star-Spangled Banner”?
- Betsy Ross sewing the first American flag raised during a time of war
- the British bombardment of Baltimore
- the British burning of Washington, DC
- the naval battle between the Leopard and the Chesapeake