To what form of government did the American revolutionaries turn after the war for independence?
Which of the following was not one of Franklin’s thirteen virtues?
What defined republicanism as a social philosophy?
Which of the following figures did not actively challenge the status of women in the early American republic?
- Abigail Adams
- Phillis Wheatley
- Mercy Otis Warren
- Judith Sargent Murray
Which state had the clearest separation of church and state?
- New Hampshire
- New York
How would you characterize Thomas Jefferson’s ideas on race and slavery?
Which of the following states had the most democratic constitution in the 1780s?
- South Carolina
Under the Articles of Confederation, what power did the national Confederation Congress have?
- the power to tax
- the power to enforce foreign treaties
- the power to enforce commercial trade agreements
- the power to create land ordinances
What were the primary causes of Shays’ Rebellion?
Which plan resolved the issue of representation for the U.S. Constitution?
- the Rhode Island Agreement
- the New Jersey Plan
- the Connecticut Compromise
- the Virginia Plan
How was the U.S. Constitution ratified?
- by each state at special ratifying conventions
- at the Constitutional Convention of 1787
- at the Confederation Convention
- by popular referendum in each state
Explain the argument that led to the three-fifths rule and the consequences of that rule.