Which of the following was a cause of the British National Debt in 1763?
- drought in Great Britain
- the French and Indian War
- the continued British military presence in the American colonies
- both B and C
What was the main purpose of the Sugar Act of 1764?
- It raised taxes on sugar.
- It raised taxes on molasses.
- It strengthened enforcement of molasses smuggling laws.
- It required colonists to purchase only sugar distilled in Great Britain.
What did British colonists find so onerous about the acts that Prime Minister Grenville passed?
Which of the following was not a goal of the Stamp Act?
- to gain control over the colonists
- to raise revenue for British troops stationed in the colonies
- to raise revenue to pay off British debt from the French and Indian War
- to declare null and void any laws the colonies had passed to govern and tax themselves
For which of the following activities were the Sons of Liberty responsible?
- the Stamp Act Congress
- the hanging and beheading of a stamp commissioner in effigy
- the massacre of Conestoga in Pennsylvania
- the introduction of the Virginia Stamp Act Resolutions
Which of the following was not one of the goals of the Townshend Acts?
- higher taxes
- greater colonial unity
- greater British control over the colonies
- reduced power of the colonial governments
Which event was most responsible for the colonies’ endorsement of Samuel Adams’s Massachusetts Circular?
- the Townshend Duties
- the Indemnity Act
- the Boston Massacre
- Lord Hillsborough’s threat to dissolve the colonial assemblies that endorsed the letter
What factors contributed to the Boston Massacre?
Which of the following is true of the Gaspée affair?
- Colonists believed that the British response represented an overreach of power.
- It was the first time colonists attacked a revenue ship.
- It was the occasion of the first official death in the war for independence.
- The ship’s owner, John Hancock, was a respectable Boston merchant.
What was the purpose of the Tea Act of 1773?
- to punish the colonists for their boycotting of British tea
- to raise revenue to offset the British national debt
- to help revive the struggling East India Company
- to pay the salaries of royal appointees
What was the significance of the Committees of Correspondence?
Which of the following was decided at the First Continental Congress?
- to declare war on Great Britain
- to boycott all British goods and prepare for possible military action
- to offer a conciliatory treaty to Great Britain
- to pay for the tea that was dumped in Boston Harbor
Which colony provided the basis for the Declarations and Resolves?
- Rhode Island
- New York