The prison operated by the U.S. military for the detention and interrogation of terrorist suspects and “enemy combatants” is located at ________.
- Kuwait City, Kuwait
- Riker’s Island, New York
- Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- Lahore, Pakistan
Unwarranted wiretapping in the United States was conducted by ________.
- the FBI
- the CIA
- the New York Times
- the NSA
In what ways did the U.S. government attempt to deny the rights of prisoners taken in Afghanistan and Iraq?
What investment banking firm went bankrupt in 2008, signaling the beginning of a major economic crisis?
- Wells Fargo
- Lehman Brothers
- Price Waterhouse
A subprime mortgage is ________.
- a high-risk, high-interest loan
- a federal bailout for major banks
- a form of insurance on investments
- a form of political capital
What are the pros and cons of school vouchers?
A popular Mexican American studies program was banned by the state of ________, which accused it of causing resentment of White people.
- New Mexico
The first state to allow same-sex marriage was ________.
- New York
What was the result of the Bush administration’s unwillingness to recognize that climate change is being accelerated by human activity?
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional in ________.
Which of the following is not a goal of Obamacare (the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)?
- to provide all Americans with access to affordable health insurance
- to require that everyone in the United States acquire some form of health insurance
- to lower the costs of healthcare
- to increase employment in the healthcare industry
What has Barack Obama done to make college education more accessible?