Which of the following was a goal of the Spanish in their destruction of Fort Caroline?
- establishing a foothold from which to battle the Timucua
- claiming a safe place to house the New World treasures that would be shipped back to Spain
- reducing the threat of French privateers
- locating a site for the establishment of Santa Fe
Why did the Spanish build Castillo de San Marcos?
- to protect the local Timucua
- to defend against imperial challengers
- as a seat for visiting Spanish royalty
- to house visiting delegates from rival imperial powers
How did the Pueblo attempt to maintain their autonomy in the face of Spanish settlement?
What was patroonship?
- a Dutch ship used for transporting beaver furs
- a Dutch system of patronage that encouraged the arts
- a Dutch system of granting tracts of land in New Netherland to encourage colonization
- a Dutch style of hat trimmed with beaver fur from New Netherland
Which religious order joined the French settlement in Canada and tried to convert the natives to Christianity?
How did the French and Dutch colonists differ in their religious expectations? How did both compare to Spanish colonists?
What was the most lucrative product of the Chesapeake colonies?
- gold and silver
What was the primary cause of Bacon’s Rebellion?
- former indentured servants wanted more opportunities to expand their territory
- African slaves wanted better treatment
- Susquahannock Indians wanted the Jamestown settlers to pay a fair price for their land
- Jamestown politicians were jockeying for power
The founders of the Plymouth colony were:
Which of the following is not true of the Puritan religion?
- It required close reading of scripture.
- Church membership required a conversion narrative.
- Literacy was crucial.
- Only men could participate.
How did the Chesapeake colonists solve their labor problems?
What was the Middle Passage?
- the fabled sea route from Europe to the Far East
- the land route from Europe to Africa
- the transatlantic journey that African slaves made to America
- the line between the northern and southern colonies
Which of the following is not an item Europeans introduced to Indians?
- glass beads
- copper kettles
- metal tools
How did European muskets change life for native peoples in the Americas?
Compare and contrast European and Indian views on property.