Which of the following best describes Roosevelt’s attempts to push his political agenda in the last months of Hoover’s presidency?
- Roosevelt spoke publicly on the issue of direct relief.
- Roosevelt met privately with Hoover to convince him to institute certain policy shifts before his presidency ended.
- Roosevelt awaited his inauguration before introducing any plans.
- Roosevelt met secretly with members of Congress to attempt to win their favor.
Which of the following policies did Roosevelt not include among his early ideas for a New Deal?
- public works
- government regulation of the economy
- elimination of the gold standard
- aid to farmers
What was the purpose of Roosevelt’s “Brains Trust?”
Which of the following was not a policy undertaken by the NIRA?
- agreement among industries to set prices
- agreement among industries to reinvest profits into their firms
- agreement among industries to set production levels
- recognition of the right of workers to form unions
What type of help did the CWA provide?
- direct relief
- farm refinancing
- bank reform
- employment opportunities
In what ways did the New Deal both provide direct relief and create new jobs? Which programs served each of these goals?
How did the NRA seek to protect workers? What difficulties did this agency face?
Which of the following statements accurately describes Mary McLeod Bethune?
- She was a prominent supporter of the Townsend Plan.
- She was a key figure in the NYA.
- She was Eleanor Roosevelt’s personal secretary.
- She was a labor organizer.
The Social Security Act borrowed some ideas from which of the following?
- the Townsend Plan
- the Division of Negro Affairs
- the Education Trust
- the NIRA
What was the first New Deal agency to hire women openly?
- the NRA
- the WPA
- the AAA
- the TVA
What were the major goals and accomplishments of the Indian New Deal?