In order to pursue his goal of using American influence overseas only when it was a moral imperative, Wilson put which man in the position of Secretary of State?
- Charles Hughes
- Theodore Roosevelt
- William Jennings Bryan
- John Pershing
Why was the German use of the unterseeboot considered to defy international law?
- because other countries did not have similar technology
- because they refused to warn their targets before firing
- because they constituted cruel and unusual methods
- because no international consensus existed to employ submarine technology
To what extent were Woodrow Wilson’s actual foreign policy decisions consistent with his foreign policy philosophy or vision?
Which of the following was not enacted in order to secure men and materials for the war effort?
- the Food Administration
- the Selective Service Act
- the War Industries Board
- the Sedition Act
What of the following was not used to control American dissent against the war effort?
- propaganda campaigns
- repressive legislation
- National Civil Liberties Bureau
- loyalty leagues
How did the government work to ensure unity on the home front, and why did Wilson feel that this was so important?
Why did the war not increase overall prosperity?
- because inflation made the cost of living higher
- because wages were lowered due to the war effort
- because workers had no bargaining power due to the “no-strike pledge”
- because women and African American men were paid less for the same work
Which of the following did not influence the eventual passage of the Nineteenth Amendment?
- women’s contributions to the war effort
- the dramatic tactics and harsh treatment of radical suffragists
- the passage of the Volstead Act
- the arguments of President Wilson’s daughter
Why was prohibition’s success short-lived?
What was Article X in the Treaty of Versailles?
- the “war guilt clause” that France required
- the agreement that all nations in the League of Nations would be rendered equal
- the Allies’ division of Germany’s holdings in Asia
- the refusal to allow Bolshevik Russia membership in the League of Nations
Which of the following was not included in the Treaty of Versailles?
- extensive German reparations to be paid to the Allies
- a curtailment of German immigration to Allied nations
- France’s acquisition of disputed territory along the French-German border
- a mandate for Germany to accept responsibility for the war publicly
What barriers did Wilson face in his efforts to ratify the Treaty of Versailles? What objections did those opposed to the treaty voice?
Which of the following was not a destabilizing factor immediately following the end of the war?
- a flu pandemic
- a women’s liberation movement
- high inflation and economic uncertainty
- political paranoia
What was the inciting event that led to the Chicago Race Riot of 1919?
- a strike at a local factory
- a protest march of Black activists
- the murder of a Black boy who swam too close to a White beach
- the assault of a White man on a streetcar by Black youths
How did postwar conditions explain Warren Harding’s landslide victory in the 1920 presidential election?