Mark Twain’s Gilded Age is a reference to ________.
- conditions in the South in the pre-Civil War era
- the corrupt politics of the post-Civil War era
- the populist movement
- the Republican Party
How did the Great Compromise of 1877 influence the election?
- It allowed a bilateral government agreement.
- It gave new power to northern Republicans.
- It encouraged southern states to support Hayes.
- It gave the federal government new powers.
What accounted for the relative weakness of the federal government during this era?
A Mugwump is ________.
- a supporter of the spoils system
- a liberal Democrat
- a former member of the Republican Party
- a moderate Stalwart
Which president made significant steps towards civil service reform?
- Chester A. Arthur
- Benjamin Harrison
- Grover Cleveland
- Roscoe Conkling
Why were U.S. presidents (with few exceptions) so adamant about protecting the spoils system of patronage during the late nineteenth century?
Which of the following was not a vehicle for the farmers’ protest?
- the Mugwumps
- the Grange
- the Farmers’ Alliance
- the People’s Party
Which of the following contributed directly to the plight of farmers?
- machine politics
- labor unions
- inadequate supply
What were women’s roles within the Farmer’s Alliance?
How were members of Coxey’s Army received when they arrived in Washington?
- They were given an audience with the president.
- They were given an audience with members of Congress.
- They were ignored.
- They were arrested.
Which of the following does not represent one of the ways in which William Jennings Bryan appealed to Populists?
- He came from farm country.
- He supported free silver.
- He supported the subtreasury system.
- He advocated for higher tariffs.