What was Lincoln’s primary goal immediately following the Civil War?
- punishing the rebel states
- improving the lives of former slaves
- reunifying the country
- paying off the debts of the war
In 1864 and 1865, Radical Republicans were most concerned with ________.
- securing civil rights for freed slaves
- barring ex-Confederates from political office
- seeking restitution from Confederate states
- preventing Andrew Johnson’s ascent to the presidency
What was the purpose of the Thirteenth Amendment? How was it different from the Emancipation Proclamation?
Which of the following was not one of the functions of the Freedmen’s Bureau?
- collecting taxes
- reuniting families
- establishing schools
- helping workers secure labor contracts
Which person or group was most responsible for the passage of the Fourteenth Amendment?
- President Johnson
- northern voters
- southern voters
- Radical Republicans in Congress
What was the goal of the black codes?
Under Radical Reconstruction, which of the following did former Confederate states not need to do in order to rejoin the Union?
- pass the Fourteenth Amendment
- pass the Fifteenth Amendment
- revise their state constitution
- allow all freed men over the age of 21 to vote
The House of Representatives impeached Andrew Johnson over ________.
- the Civil Rights Act
- the Fourteenth Amendment
- the Military Reconstruction Act
- the Tenure of Office Act
What were the benefits and drawbacks of the Fifteenth Amendment?
Which of the following is not one of the methods the Ku Klux Klan and other terrorist groups used to intimidate blacks and white sympathizers?
- burning public schools
- petitioning Congress
- murdering freedmen who tried to vote
- threatening, beating, and killing those who disagreed with them
Which of the following was the term southerners used for a white southerner who tried to overturn the changes of Reconstruction?
- white knight
Why was it difficult for southern free blacks to gain economic independence after the Civil War?