Which of the following is not a characteristic of the Second Great Awakening?
- greater emphasis on nature
- greater emphasis on religious education of children
- greater church attendance
- belief in the possibility of a better world
Transcendentalists were most concerned with ________.
- the afterlife
- the individual
What do the Second Great Awakening and transcendentalism have in common?
Which religious community focused on the power of patriarchy?
Which community or movement is associated with transcendentalism?
- the Oneida Community
- the Ephrata Cloister
- Brook Farm
How were the reform communities of the antebellum era treated by the general population?
The first temperance laws were enacted by ________.
- state governments
- local governments
- the federal government
- temperance organizations
Sylvester Graham’s reformers targeted ________.
- the human body
- all of the above
Whom did temperance reformers target?
In the context of the antebellum era, what does colonization refer to?
- Great Britain’s colonization of North America
- the relocation of African Americans to Africa
- American colonization of the Caribbean
- American colonization of Africa
Which of the following did William Lloyd Garrison not employ in his abolitionist efforts?
- moral suasion
- political involvement
Why did William Lloyd Garrison’s endorsement of the Grimké sisters divide the abolitionist movement?
- They advocated equal rights for women.
- They supported colonization.
- They attended the Seneca Falls Convention.
- They lectured to co-ed audiences.
Which female reformer focused on women’s roles as the educators of children?
- Lydia Maria Child
- Sarah Grimké
- Catherine Beecher
- Susan B. Anthony
How did the abolitionist movement impact the women’s movement?