As a result of the Adams-Onís Treaty, the United States gained which territory from Spain?
- New Mexico
The Long Expedition established a short-lived republic in Texas known as ________.
- the Lone Star Republic
- the Republic of Texas
- the Republic of Fredonia
For what purposes did Thomas Jefferson send Lewis and Clark to explore the Louisiana Territory? What did he want them to accomplish?
A proposal to prohibit the importation of enslaved people to Missouri following its admission to the United States was made by ________.
- John C. Calhoun
- Henry Clay
- James Tallmadge
- John Quincy Adams
To balance votes in the Senate, ________ was admitted to the Union as a free state at the same time that Missouri was admitted as a slave state.
- New York
Why did the Missouri Crisis trigger threats of disunion and war? Identify the positions of both southern slaveholders and northern opponents of the spread of slavery.
Texas won its independence from Mexico in ________.
Texans defeated the army of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna at the battle of ________.
- the Alamo
- San Jacinto
How did Texas settlers’ view of Mexico and its people contribute to the history of Texas in the 1830s?
Which of the following was not a reason the United States was reluctant to annex Texas?
- The United States did not want to fight a war with Mexico.
- Annexing Texas would add more slave territory to the United States and anger abolitionists.
- Texans considered U.S. citizens inferior and did not want to be part of their country.
- Adding Texas would upset the balance between free and slave states in Congress.
According to treaties signed in 1818 and 1827, with which country did the United States jointly occupy Oregon?
- Great Britain
During the war between the United States and Mexico, revolts against U.S. control broke out in ________.
- Florida and Texas
- New Mexico and California
- California and Texas
- Florida and California
Why did White people in California dislike the Chinese so much?
The practice of allowing residents of territories to decide whether their land should be slave or free was called ________.
- the democratic process
- the Wilmot Proviso
- popular sovereignty
- the Free Soil solution
Which of the following was not a provision of the Compromise of 1850?
- California was admitted as a free state.
- Slavery was abolished in Washington, DC.
- A stronger fugitive slave law was passed.
- Residents of New Mexico and Utah were to decide for themselves whether their territories would be slave or free.
Describe the events leading up to the formation of the Free-Soil Party.