Who of the following does not support the humane and improved treatment of mentally ill persons?
- Philippe Pinel
- medieval priests
- Dorothea Dix
- All of the above
The process of closing large asylums and providing for people to stay in the community to be treated locally is known as ________.
Joey was convicted of domestic violence. As part of his sentence, the judge has ordered that he attend therapy for anger management. This is considered ________ treatment.
Today, most people with psychological problems are not hospitalized. Typically they are only hospitalized if they ________.
- have schizophrenia
- have insurance
- are an imminent threat to themselves or others
- require therapy
The idea behind ________ is that how you think determines how you feel and act.
- cognitive therapy
- cognitive-behavioral therapy
- behavior therapy
- client-centered therapy
Mood stabilizers, such as lithium, are used to treat ________.
- anxiety disorders
- bipolar disorder
Clay is in a therapy session. The therapist asks him to relax and say whatever comes to his mind at the moment. This therapist is using ________, which is a technique of ________.
- active listening; client-centered therapy
- systematic desensitization; behavior therapy
- transference; psychoanalysis
- free association; psychoanalysis
A treatment modality in which 5–10 people with the same issue or concern meet together with a trained clinician is known as ________.
- family therapy
- couples therapy
- group therapy
- self-help group
What happens during an intake?
- The therapist gathers specific information to address the client’s immediate needs such as the presenting problem, the client’s support system, and insurance status. The therapist informs the client about confidentiality, fees, and what to expect in a therapy session.
- The therapist guides what happens in the therapy session and designs a detailed approach to resolving each member’s presenting problem.
- The therapist meets with a couple to help them see how their individual backgrounds, beliefs, and actions are affecting their relationship.
- The therapist examines and discusses with the family the boundaries and structure of the family: For example, who makes the rules, who sleeps in the bed with whom, and how decisions are made.
What is the minimum amount of time addicts should receive treatment if they are to achieve a desired outcome?
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
When an individual has two or more diagnoses, which often includes a substance-related diagnosis and another psychiatric diagnosis, this is known as ________.
- bipolar disorder
- comorbid disorder
- bi-morbid disorder
John was drug-free for almost six months. Then he started hanging out with his addict friends, and he has now started abusing drugs again. This is an example of ________.
The sociocultural perspective looks at you, your behaviors, and your symptoms in the context of your ________.
- socioeconomic status
- culture and background
Which of the following was not listed as a barrier to mental health treatment?
- fears about treatment
- being a member of the ethnic majority