As a field, social psychology focuses on ________ in predicting human behavior.
- personality traits
- genetic predispositions
- biological forces
- situational factors
Making internal attributions for your successes and making external attributions for your failures is an example of ________.
- actor-observer bias
- fundamental attribution error
- self-serving bias
- just-world hypothesis
Collectivistic cultures are to ________ as individualistic cultures are to ________.
- dispositional; situational
- situational; dispositional
- autonomy; group harmony
- just-world hypothesis; self-serving bias
According to the actor-observer bias, we have more information about ________.
- situational influences on behavior
- influences on our own behavior
- influences on others’ behavior
- dispositional influences on behavior
A(n) ________ is a set of group expectations for appropriate thoughts and behaviors of its members.
- social role
- social norm
On his first day of soccer practice, Jose suits up in a t-shirt, shorts, and cleats and runs out to the field to join his teammates. Jose’s behavior is reflective of ________.
- a script
- social influence
- good athletic behavior
- normative behavior
When it comes to buying clothes, teenagers often follow social norms; this is likely motivated by ________.
- following parents’ rules
- saving money
- fitting in
- looking good
In the Stanford prison experiment, even the lead researcher succumbed to his role as a prison supervisor. This is an example of the power of ________ influencing behavior.
- social norms
- social roles
Attitudes describe our ________ of people, objects, and ideas.
Cognitive dissonance causes discomfort because it disrupts our sense of ________.
In order for the central route to persuasion to be effective, the audience must be ________ and ________.
- analytical; motivated
- attentive; happy
- intelligent; unemotional
- gullible; distracted
Examples of cues used in peripheral route persuasion include all of the following except ________.
- celebrity endorsement
- positive emotions
- attractive models
- factual information
In the Asch experiment, participants conformed due to ________ social influence.
Under what conditions will informational social influence be more likely?
- when individuals want to fit in
- when the answer is unclear
- when the group has expertise
- both b and c
Social loafing occurs when ________.
- individual performance cannot be evaluated
- the task is easy
- both a and b
- none of the above
If group members modify their opinions to align with a perceived group consensus, then ________ has occurred.
- group cohesion
- social polarization
- social loafing
Prejudice is to ________ as discrimination is to ________.
- feelings; behavior
- thoughts; feelings
- feelings; thoughts
- behavior; feelings
Which of the following is not a type of prejudice?
________ occurs when the out-group is blamed for the in-group’s frustration.
- in-group bias
When we seek out information that supports our stereotypes we are engaged in ________.
- confirmation bias
- self-fulfilling prophecy
- in-group bias
Typically, bullying from boys is to ________ as bullying from girls is to ________.
- emotional harm; physical harm
- physical harm; emotional harm
- psychological harm; physical harm
- social exclusion; verbal taunting
Which of the following adolescents is least likely to be targeted for bullying?
- a child with a physical disability
- a transgender adolescent
- an emotionally sensitive boy
- the captain of the football team
The bystander effect likely occurs due to ________.
- desensitization to violence
- people not noticing the emergency
- diffusion of responsibility
- emotional insensitivity
Altruism is a form of prosocial behavior that is motivated by ________.
- feeling good about oneself
- selfless helping of others
- earning a reward
- showing bravery to bystanders
After moving to a new apartment building, research suggests that Sam will be most likely to become friends with ________.
- his next door neighbor
- someone who lives three floors up in the apartment building
- someone from across the street
- his new postal delivery person
What trait do both men and women tend to look for in a romantic partner?
- sense of humor
- social skills
- leadership potential
- physical attractiveness
According to the triangular theory of love, what type of love is defined by passion and intimacy but no commitment?
- consummate love
- empty love
- romantic love
According to social exchange theory, humans want to maximize the ________ and minimize the ________ in relationships.
- intimacy; commitment
- benefits; costs
- costs; benefits
- passion; intimacy