Send a message to your college or university marketing department asking for a time to talk to the marketing manager about their job for your class. These positions vary greatly based on how many functions they outsource. Use the following questions as a guide to dig deeper into their process and responsibilities.
- Please share with me your employment history and how you got to where you are today.
- Can you summarize your job responsibilities?
- Is the organizational structure of the company you work for private, nonprofit, or state?
- Can you share with me what functions, if any, are outsourced (for example, website design, website maintenance, graphic design, or printing of materials)? How long have you been outsourcing these functions?
- How many employees report to you, and what is person’s role?
- What challenges do you face with the structure you currently have in place?
Feel free to add any questions you might have. Thank them for their time. From this interview you should be able to gain more insight into how different areas of marketing are handled within a given organization’s marketing department.