Which of the following best describes how deviance is defined?
- Deviance is defined by federal, state, and local laws.
- Deviance’s definition is determined by one’s religion.
- Deviance occurs whenever someone else is harmed by an action.
- Deviance is socially defined.
During the civil rights movement, Rosa Parks and other black protestors spoke out against segregation by refusing to sit at the back of the bus. This is an example of ________.
- An act of social control
- An act of deviance
- A social norm
- Criminal mores
A student has a habit of talking on her cell phone during class. One day, the professor stops his lecture and asks her to respect the other students in the class by turning off her phone. In this situation, the professor used __________ to maintain social control.
- Informal negative sanctions
- Informal positive sanctions
- Formal negative sanctions
- Formal positive sanctions
Societies practice social control to maintain ________.
- formal sanctions
- social order
- cultural deviance
- sanction labeling
One day, you decide to wear pajamas to the grocery store. While you shop, you notice people giving you strange looks and whispering to others. In this case, the grocery store patrons are demonstrating _______.
- formal sanctions
- informal sanctions
- positive sanctions
A student wakes up late and realizes her sociology exam starts in five minutes. She jumps into her car and speeds down the road, where she is pulled over by a police officer. The student explains that she is running late, and the officer lets her off with a warning. The student’s actions are an example of _________.
- primary deviance
- positive deviance
- secondary deviance
- master deviance
According to C. Wright Mills, which of the following people is most likely to be a member of the power elite?
- A war veteran
- A senator
- A professor
- A mechanic
According to social disorganization theory, crime is most likely to occur where?
- A community where neighbors don’t know each other very well
- A neighborhood with mostly elderly citizens
- A city with a large minority population
- A college campus with students who are very competitive
Shaw and McKay found that crime is linked primarily to ________.
- master status
- family values
According to the concept of the power elite, why would a celebrity such as Charlie Sheen commit a crime?
- Because his parents committed similar crimes
- Because his fame protects him from retribution
- Because his fame disconnects him from society
- Because he is challenging socially accepted norms
A convicted sexual offender is released on parole and arrested two weeks later for repeated sexual crimes. How would labeling theory explain this?
- The offender has been labeled deviant by society and has accepted a new master status.
- The offender has returned to his old neighborhood and so reestablished his former habits.
- The offender has lost the social bonds he made in prison and feels disconnected from society.
- The offender is poor and responding to the different cultural values that exist in his community.
______ deviance is a violation of norms that ______result in a person being labeled a deviant.
- Secondary; does not
- Negative; does
- Primary; does not
- Primary; may or may not
Which of the following is an example of corporate crime?
Spousal abuse is an example of a ________.
- street crime
- corporate crime
- violent crime
- nonviolent crime
Which of the following situations best describes crime trends in the United States?
- Rates of violent and nonviolent crimes are decreasing.
- Rates of violent crimes are decreasing, but there are more nonviolent crimes now than ever before.
- Crime rates have skyrocketed since the 1970s due to lax corrections laws.
- Rates of street crime have gone up, but corporate crime has gone down.
What is a disadvantage of the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)?
- The NCVS doesn’t include demographic data, such as age or gender.
- The NCVS may be unable to reach important groups, such as those without phones.
- The NCVS doesn’t address the relationship between the criminal and the victim.
- The NCVS only includes information collected by police officers.