14.1 What Is Marriage? What Is a Family?
Sociologists tend to define family in terms of
- how a given society sanctions the relationships of people who are connected through blood, marriage, or adoption
- the connection of bloodlines
- the status roles that exist in a family structure
- how closely members adhere to social norms
Research suggests that people generally feel that their current family is _______ than the family they grew up with.
- less close
- more close
- at least as close
- none of the above
A woman being married to two men would be an example of:
A child who associates his line of descent with his father’s side only is part of a _____ society.
Which of the following is a criticism of the family life cycle model?
- It is too broad and accounts for too many aspects of family.
- It is too narrowly focused on a sequence of stages.
- It does not serve a practical purpose for studying family behavior.
- It is not based on comprehensive research.
14.2 Variations in Family Life
The majority of U.S. children live in:
- two-parent households
- one-parent households
- no-parent households
- multigenerational households
According to the study cited by the U.S. Census Bureau, children who live with married parents grow up with more advantages than children who live with:
- a divorced parent
- a single parent
- a grandparent
- all of the above
Couples who cohabitate before marriage are ______ couples who did not cohabitate before marriage to be married at least ten years.
- far more likely than
- far less likely than
- slightly less likely than
- equally as likely as
Same-sex couple households account for _____ percent of U.S. households.
The median age of first marriage has ______ in the last fifty years.
- increased for men but not women
- decreased for men but not women
- increased for both men and women
- decreased for both men and women
14.3 Challenges Families Face
Current divorce rates are:
- at an all-time high
- at an all-time low
- steadily increasing
- steadily declining
Children of divorced parents are _______ to divorce in their own marriage than children of parents who stayed married.
- more likely
- less likely
- equally likely
In general, children in ______ households benefit from divorce.
Which of the following is true of intimate partner violence (IPV)?
- IPV victims are more frequently men than women.
- One in ten women is a victim of IPV.
- Nearly half of instances of IPV involve drugs or alcohol.
- Rape is the most common form of IPV.
Which type of child abuse is most prevalent in the United States?
- Physical abuse
- Shaken-baby syndrome
- Verbal mistreatment