Which statement is true?
- A virion contains DNA and RNA.
- Viruses are acellular.
- Viruses replicate outside of the cell.
- Most viruses are easily visualized with a light microscope.
The viral ________ plays a role in attaching a virion to the host cell.
- both b and c
Which statement is true of viral replication?
- In the process of apoptosis, the cell survives.
- During attachment, the virus attaches at specific sites on the cell surface.
- The viral capsid helps the host cell produce more copies of the viral genome.
- mRNA works outside of the host cell to produce enzymes and proteins.
Which of the following is a barrier against pathogens provided by the skin?
- low pH
Although interferons have several effects, they are particularly useful against infections with which type of pathogen?
Which innate immune system component uses MHC class I molecules directly in its defense strategy?
- NK cells
The humoral immune response depends on which cells?
- TC cells
- B cells
- B and TH cells
- TC and TH cells
The fact that the body does not normally mount an immune response to the molecules in food is an example of _______.
- secondary immune response
- immunological memory
- immune tolerance
- passive immunity
Foreign particles circulating in the blood are filtered by the ____________.
- lymph nodes
Allergy to pollen is classified as ________.
- an autoimmune reaction
- delayed hypersensitivity
- immediate hypersensitivity
A potential cause of acquired autoimmunity is ________.
- tissue hypersensitivity
- molecular mimicry
- histamine release
- radiation exposure
Autoantibodies are probably involved in ________.
- reactions to poison ivy
- pollen allergies
- systemic lupus erythematosus