What is a phylogeny a description of?
- evolutionary history
- organisms on Earth
What do scientists in the field of systematics accomplish?
- discover new fossil sites
- organize and classify organisms
- name new species
- communicate between field biologists
Which statement about the taxonomic classification system is correct?
- There are more domains than kingdoms.
- Kingdoms are the top category of classification.
- A phylum may be represented in more than one kingdom.
- Species are the most specific category of classification.
Which best describes the relationship between chimpanzees and humans?
- chimpanzees evolved from humans
- humans evolved from chimpanzees
- chimpanzees and humans evolved from a common ancestor
- chimpanzees and humans belong to the same species
Which best describes a branch point in a phylogenetic tree?
- a hypothesis
- new lineage
- a mating
Which statement about analogies is correct?
- They occur only as errors.
- They are synonymous with homologous traits.
- They are derived by response to similar environmental pressures.
- They are a form of mutation.
What kind of trait is important to cladistics?
- shared derived traits
- shared ancestral traits
- analogous traits
- parsimonious traits
What is true about organisms that are a part of the same clade?
- They all share the same basic characteristics.
- They evolved from a shared ancestor.
- They all are on the same tree.
- They have identical phylogenies.
Which assumption of cladistics is stated incorrectly?
- Living things are related by descent from a common ancestor.
- Speciation can produce one, two, or three new species.
- Traits change from one state to another.
- The polarity of a character state change can be determined.
A monophyletic group is a ________.
- phylogenetic tree
- shared derived trait
- character state