Dehydration synthesis leads to formation of
- water and polymers
- none of the above
During the breakdown of polymers, which of the following reactions takes place?
- covalent bond
An example of a monosaccharide is ________.
- all of the above
Cellulose and starch are examples of:
Plant cell walls contain which of the following in abundance?
Lactose is a disaccharide formed by the formation of a ________ bond between glucose and ________.
- glycosidic; lactose
- glycosidic; galactose
- hydrogen; sucrose
- hydrogen; fructose
Saturated fats have all of the following characteristics except:
- they are solid at room temperature
- they have single bonds within the carbon chain
- they are usually obtained from animal sources
- they tend to dissolve in water easily
Phospholipids are important components of ________.
- the plasma membrane of animal cells
- the ring structure of steroids
- the waxy covering on leaves
- the double bond in hydrocarbon chains
The monomers that make up proteins are called ________.
- amino acids
The α helix and the β-pleated sheet are part of which protein structure?
A nucleotide of DNA may contain ________.
- ribose, uracil, and a phosphate group
- deoxyribose, uracil, and a phosphate group
- deoxyribose, thymine, and a phosphate group
- ribose, thymine, and a phosphate group
The building blocks of nucleic acids are ________.
- nitrogenous bases