Which statement is true?
- A virion contains DNA and RNA.
- Viruses are acellular.
- Viruses replicate outside of the cell.
- Most viruses are easily visualized with a light microscope.
The viral ________ plays a role in attaching a virion to the host cell.
- both b and c
- all have a round shape
- cannot have a long shape
- do not maintain any shape
- vary in shape
Which statement is not true of viral replication?
- A lysogenic cycle kills the host cell.
- There are six basic steps in the viral replication cycle.
- Viral replication does not affect host cell function.
- Newly released virions can infect adjacent cells.
Which statement is true of viral replication?
- In the process of apoptosis, the cell survives.
- During attachment, the virus attaches at specific sites on the cell surface.
- The viral capsid helps the host cell produce more copies of the viral genome.
- mRNA works outside of the host cell to produce enzymes and proteins.
Which statement is true of reverse transcriptase?
- It is a nucleic acid.
- It infects cells.
- It transcribes RNA to make DNA.
- It is a lipid.
Oncogenic virus cores can be_______.
- neither RNA nor DNA
- either RNA or DNA
Which is true of DNA viruses?
- They use the host cell’s machinery to produce new copies of their genome.
- They all have envelopes.
- They are the only kind of viruses that can cause cancer.
- They are not important plant pathogens.
A bacteriophage can infect ________.
- the lungs
Which of the following is NOT used to treat active viral disease?
- antiviral drugs
- phage therapy
- are similar to viroids
- are only needed once
- kill viruses
- stimulate an immune response
Which of the following is not associated with prions?
- replicating shapes
- mad cow disease
- toxic proteins
Which statement is true of viroids?
- They are single-stranded RNA particles.
- They reproduce only outside of the cell.
- They produce proteins.
- They affect both plants and animals.