With an extinction rate of 100 E/MSY and an estimated 10 million species, how many extinctions are expected to occur in a century?
An adaptive radiation is________.
- a burst of speciation
- a healthy level of UV radiation
- a hypothesized cause of a mass extinction
- evidence of an asteroid impact
The number of currently described species on the planet is about ________.
- 1.5 million
- 10 million
A mass extinction is defined as ________.
- a loss of 95 percent of species
- an asteroid impact
- a boundary between geological periods
- a loss of 50 percent of species
A secondary plant compound might be used for which of the following?
- a new crop variety
- a new drug
- a soil nutrient
- a pest of a crop pest
Pollination is an example of ________.
- a possible source of new drugs
- chemical diversity
- an ecosystem service
- crop pest control
What is an ecosystem service that performs the same function as a pesticide?
- secondary plant compounds
- crop diversity
- predators of pests
Which two extinction risks may be a direct result of the pet trade?
- climate change and exotic species introduction
- habitat loss and overharvesting
- overharvesting and exotic species introduction
- habitat loss and climate change
Exotic species are especially threatening to what kind of ecosystem?
- marine ecosystems
- tropical forests
Certain parrot species cannot be brought to the United States to be sold as pets. What is the name of the legislation that makes this illegal?
- Red List
- Migratory Bird Act
- Endangered Species Act (ESA)
What was the name of the first international agreement on climate change?
- Red List
- Montreal Protocol
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Kyoto Protocol
About what percentage of land on the planet is set aside as a preserve of some type?
- 1 percent
- 6 percent
- 11 percent
- 15 percent