Which of the following is a pseudo-ruminant?
Which of the following statements is untrue?
- Roughage takes a long time to digest.
- Birds eat large quantities at one time so that they can fly long distances.
- Cows do not have upper teeth.
- In pseudo-ruminants, roughage is digested in the cecum.
The acidic nature of chyme is neutralized by ________.
- potassium hydroxide
- sodium hydroxide
The digestive juices from the liver are delivered to the ________.
A scientist dissects a new species of animal. If the animal’s digestive system has a single stomach with an extended small intestine, to which animal could the dissected specimen be closely related?
- snowshoe hare
Which of the following statements is not true?
- Essential nutrients can be synthesized by the body.
- Vitamins are required in small quantities for bodily function.
- Some amino acids can be synthesized by the body, while others need to be obtained from diet.
- Vitamins come in two categories: fat-soluble and water-soluble.
Which of the following is a water-soluble vitamin?
- vitamin A
- vitamin E
- vitamin K
- vitamin C
What is the primary fuel for the body?
Excess glucose is stored as ________.
- it is not stored in the body
Many distance runners “carb load” the day before a big race. How does this eating strategy provide an advantage to the runner?
- The carbohydrates cause the release of insulin.
- The excess carbohydrates are converted to fats, which have a higher calorie density.
- The glucose from the carbohydrates lets the muscles make excess ATP overnight.
- The excess carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles as glycogen.
Where does the majority of protein digestion take place?
Lipases are enzymes that breakdown ________.
Which of the following conditions is most likely to cause constipation?
- bacterial infection
- excessive cellulose consumption
Which hormone controls the release of bile from the gallbladder
Which hormone stops acid secretion in the stomach?
- gastric inhibitory peptide
In the famous conditioning experiment, Pavlov demonstrated that his dogs started drooling in response to a bell sounding. What part of the digestive process did he stimulate?
- cephalic phase
- gastric phase
- intestinal phase
- elimination phase