If xenon has an atomic number of 54 and a mass number of 108, how many neutrons does it have?
Atoms that vary in the number of neutrons found in their nuclei are called ________.
- neutral atoms
Potassium has an atomic number of 19. What is its electron configuration?
- shells 1 and 2 are full, and shell 3 has nine electrons
- shells 1, 2 and 3 are full and shell 4 has three electrons
- shells 1, 2 and 3 are full and shell 4 has one electron
- shells 1, 2 and 3 are full and no other electrons are present
Which type of bond represents a weak chemical bond?
- hydrogen bond
- atomic bond
- covalent bond
- nonpolar covalent bond
Which of the following statements is not true?
- Water is polar.
- Water stabilizes temperature.
- Water is essential for life.
- Water is the most abundant molecule in the Earth’s atmosphere.
When acids are added to a solution, the pH should ________.
- stay the same
- cannot tell without testing
We call a molecule that binds up excess hydrogen ions in a solution a(n) ________.
Which of the following statements is true?
- Acids and bases cannot mix together.
- Acids and bases will neutralize each other.
- Acids, but not bases, can change the pH of a solution.
- Acids donate hydroxide ions (OH–); bases donate hydrogen ions (H+).
Each carbon atom can bond with as many as________ other atom(s) or molecule(s).
Which of the following is not a functional group that can bond with carbon?