17.1 Power and Authority
Which statement best expresses the difference between power and authority?
- Authority involves intimidation.
- Authority is more subtle than power.
- Authority is based on the perceived legitimacy of the individual in power.
- Authority is inherited, but power is seized by military force.
Which of the following types of authority does not reside primarily in a leader?
In the U.S. Senate, it is customary to assign each senator a seniority ranking based on years of government service and the population of the state he or she represents. A top ranking gives the senator priority for assignments to office space, committee chair positions, and seating on the senate floor. What type of authority does this example best illustrate?
Malcolm X used his public speaking abilities and magnetism to inspire African Americans to stand up against injustice in an extremely hostile environment. He is an example of a(n) __________ leader.
Which current world figure has the least amount of political power?
- President Barack Obama
- Queen Elizabeth II
- British Prime Minister David Cameron
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un
Which statement best expresses why there have been so few charismatic female leaders throughout history?
- Women have different leadership styles than men.
- Women are not interested in leading at all.
- Few women have had the opportunity to hold leadership roles over the courseof history.
- Male historians have refused to acknowledge the contributions of femaleleaders in their records.
17.2 Forms of Government
Many constitutional monarchies started out as:
- absolute monarchies
Which nation is an absolute monarchy?
- Great Britain
Which of the following present and former government leaders is generally considered a dictator?
- David Cameron
- Barack Obama
- Qaboos bin Said Al Said
- Kim Jong-Un
A(n) _________________ is an extremely oppressive government that seeks to control all aspects of its citizens’ lives.
- totalitarian dictatorship
- absolute monarchy
Which is not a characteristic of a democracy?
- People vote to elect officials.
- A king or queen holds the majority of governmental control.
- One goal of this type of government is to protect citizens’ basic rights.
- A constitution typically outlines the foundational ideas of how this government should operate.
Which statement best expresses why the United States is not a “true” democracy?
- Many politicians are corrupt.
- Special-interest groups fund political campaigns.
- Citizens elect representatives who vote on their behalf to make policy.
- Ancient Greece was the only true democracy.
17.3 Politics in the United States
In the past, Southern states discouraged African Americans from voting by requiring them to take a _____________________ test.
- lie detector
Which president signed the Voting Rights Act?
- Lyndon Johnson
- John F. Kennedy Jr.
- Barack Obama
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Which factor does not influence voting practices?
- Social class
- Voting booths
The U.S. Supreme Court case _________________ led to the revision of voting districts to account for differences in population density.
- Roe v. Wade
- Reynolds v. Sims
- Brown v. Board of Education
- Marbury v. Madison
Which statement best explains the meaning of “one person, one vote”?
- One person should not be allowed to vote twice.
- A voter deserves one chance to vote.
- A voter should vote only once a year.
- Each voter’s vote should count equally.
17.4 Theoretical Perspectives on Government and Power
Which concept corresponds best to functionalism?
Which sociologist is not associated with conflict theory?
- C. Wright Mills
- G. William Domhoff
- Karl Marx
- George H. Mead
Karl Marx believed social structures evolve out of:
- supply and demand
The Arab Spring, Occupy Wall Street protests, and the Tea Party movement have the following in common:
- They sought to destroy central government.
- They are examples of conflict theory in action.
- They can only occur in a representative democracy.
- They used violence as the means of achieving their goals.
Which is not one of functionalism’s four main purposes of government?
- Maintaining law and order
- Meeting social needs
- Equally distributing resources
- Planning and directing society
Sociologist G. William Domhoff’s Who Rules America? asserts that wealth is often necessary to exert the most influence over social and political systems. This is a ____ perspective.
- conflict theory
- symbolic interactionism
Which of the following paradigms would consider movements such as Occupy Wall Street undesirable and unnecessarily forcing social change?
- Symbolic interactionism
- Conflict theory